Wednesday, March 24, 2010

Parenting Left

Someone recently asked me if I would let my children read The Rude Pundit.  Well no, of course not, although they do know all the colorful words he uses.  But I do let them listen to him on the radio, where the FCC requires that certain words be omitted.

So, how does one effectively raise children to be liberal thinkers in today's tea bagger climate?  Thankfully, I'm not worried what the neighbors think, so it's pretty easy for me.  It all boils down to exposure.  Cuz if you don't expose them to it, they sure ain't gonna get it anywhere else.  And next thing you know, they'll be joining the New Neocons of America group at school.

Step 1: progressive radio is just about the only radio in our house.  It's on every morning, while we get ready for school and work.  My kids are inundated with Stephanie Miller (and Rude every Monday!).  They get a dose of Thom Hartmann every evening during the transition time between school and dinner.  And as any parent will tell you, they're listening -- even if they don't show it.  My 8 yr old love the moniker Caribou Barbie so much, I had to have a chat with her about using it in front of her Republican friends. 

Step 2: Progressive shows are the only grown-up programming we watch (well, except for Lost).  My kids have known Jon Stewart since day 1.  And just now, the 8 yr old begged to watch Fareed Zakaria!  Yeah, they still like Wizards of Waverly Place too, but at least they are balanced!

Step 3: When they hear Daddy and Mommy talking about some political issue and ask questions, I answer them honestly.  "Why are you and daddy so angry?"  "Because our government doesn't care about helping the people;  they only care about making money for their friends."  (this was in the W years).  Then it's not only a lesson about the government, but also about the values of helping people and caring about others, the planet, etc. 

In fact, one night, the 8 yr old (when she was 6) was acting all shy about asking me what a "bad word" meant.  She was afraid to say the word.  I said, how do you know it's bad then?  She said, because you and daddy are angry when you use it.  The word?  Hypocrite.  A Mama couldn't be prouder.

Step 4: Get them involved in democracy.  I took them to the caucus;  took them to an Obama house party (even though I'm a Kucinich gal).  Make sure they know how important it is to vote, what a treasure it is.

We held a Guy Fawkes party (google it) in 2008 -- it was right before the election, after all, so it was perfect.  My oldest loved it -- was a perfect little hostess handing out pocket Constitutions and helping people make their effigies for burning. 

Step 5: Surround them with books.  Lots of them.  Let them know that knowledge is power.  Don't let them be like Texas!  (ooh, and don't forget to take them to Banned Book Week at your local public library!)

I could go on and on.  But you get the idea.  Personally, I don't really find it too challenging.  The schools are too pantywaisted to teach anything of substance, so there's little to contradict my teachings.  Of course, there was that time the kindergarten teacher asked if I'd told my kid she didn't have to say the Pledge of Allegiance if she didn't want to....(she did have to stand respectfully for it, however). 

Parenting Left and speaking out in this time of Tea Bagging Darkness (it's a dark brew indeed) are the paths I've chosen to keep the Left alive, to keep the notions of social justice, compassion, and truth going.  And I don't need corporate media to do it.  All I need is some Thom Hartmann, a good bookstore, and yes, Rude Pundit.

2 comments:

  1. Lefty Parenting Moment: Today I am chaperoning a kingergarten field trip. When my third grader asked where I was going, I said, "Remember those Shame on NV Energy ads on the radio?" She got a devilish look in her eye and gave a little snicker of glee. That's my girl!

    ReplyDelete
  2. your girls can guy fawkes party with me ANY time. my oldest friend from gradeschool took her 6 and 8 year old on a civil rights tour when she got out of the military and they were driving from mississippi to CA. shit I haven't even been on a damn civil rights tour. i need to plan one though.

    what i learned about my godchildren is that it taught them empathy at a very early age. they are both teenagers now, normal in every sense of the word and they're not perfect but god-damn if they ain't nice. and SMART. thank god for lefties.

    ~t@y

    ReplyDelete