Thursday, March 18, 2010

I'm with Dennis

The right-wing media is having a field day over Dennis Kucinich's vote on health care.  They shiver with ecstacy over his "flip flopping" on the issue. This drivel doesn't really deserve comment. 

What I really want to talk about is why I'm still with Dennis.  He was my #1 choice for President in 2008, and he's still one-half of my dream ticket (Sanders being the other).  And his speech on why he chose to vote for the health care bill shows why.

Like Kucinich, I was a hardcore hold-out for single payer.  For months I've been saying "Hell no!" to the current bill, because it doesn't do nearly enough.  Big K and I fought the good fight against "something is better than nothing."  But in the end, he realized how critical it was that he vote for this piece of crap that we have. Because at the end of the day, something is better than nothing. 

This is not a flip flop.  Kucinich believes in doing what's best for the American people.  And what's best is single payer, but when it became clear that that was not an option on the table, he was faced with a difficult decision.  He described his dilemma most eloquently in his press conference announcing his vote.  He recognized that at this point, it was time to put aside the Good Fight (for a few moments) and at least get the protections of the current bill in place.  And I have no doubt that he -- and Bernie Sanders and Alan Grayson -- will resume the Good Fight once the vote is over.  (Bernie has made some great statements this past week on that -- Google it).

So, while I think the current bill is a piece of crap compared to what we COULD have (had the Dems had any balls enough to propose it in the first place), I'll get onboard because Dennis decided it was best.  He's earned my trust that way.  And it's just so obvious and boring that Faux and Friends are attacking him for it. 

Oh, and the icing on the cake?  Kucinich is giving back campaign contributions to people who expected him to vote for single payer health care!  He feels he must do this, because he did not do what they "paid" him to do.  How many elected officials would do that? 

Whichever radio host I was listening to at the time said it best: Kucinich is a man of honor.  How rare that is today, in any field -- but certainly so in politics.  We need more people with that kind of integrity.  Think how great our country would be if we did!  And that's why I like Ron Paul -- he and I are completely opposite in ideology, but he has integrity and honor.  It's just those pesky Tea Baggers that are the problem. 

Kucinich has a bright future, if we can get more of the populace to see it.  Imagine this:  a Sanders/Kucinich ticket (cuz Bernie's older and so should go first) for 8 years....then a Kucinich and....I don't know...Grayson?.....for another 8.  Now I'm shivering with ecstasy. 

So encourage any conservative types you know to look past the bullshit of Faux "News" and look at the man.  Regardless of your politics, Kucinich is a man of honor.  And as such, we all have something to learn from him, and we would all be served by keeping him in our government.

1 comment:

  1. My CFO has a saying that is particularly apt - don't let better be the enemy of good.

    Of course in this case, Good may well not be Right . . . .

    ReplyDelete