Monday, March 22, 2010

Butt-Shaper Sneakers: Do They Really Work?

In short: yes.
Why, on a blog like this, would I take a moment to discuss sneakers?  Because it was reading someone's blog that helped me decide whether or not to buy them myself -- so I'm gonna pay it forward.

I shelled out $100 to get some Skecher's Shape Ups.  You know, the Frankensneakers that supposedly tone your legs and butt while you walk.  I was skeptical, but as I said I read a very good blog with not only the writer's experience but also that of all her commenters.  So I decided I'd give them a try.

The first time I put them on, it was, in the words of a coworker, like "clouds for my feet."  The sole is so cushy and shock-aborbent.  The first time I walked in them, it was a leisurely stroll for sure -- but damn if I didn't feel it immediately.  I could tell they were working my muscles differently. 

To be fair, I have not done a full-on, power-walk test of these shoes.  So I can't say how quickly one might see tangible results.  But here's what I have done: this past weekend, I wore them for my usual tourista-type walking -- primarily museum going.  After a single day of simple walking around two museums, my legs were exhausted.  And no, it wasn't the "I'm out of shape" exhaustion.  I felt like I'd had a massive date with the elliptical, or maybe climbed a mountain.  I did it again the next day, though for a slightly shorter day.  Today I can still feel the burn. 

Butt-shaping aside, they are great for reducing the impact to your knees and other joints.  The cloud-like cushioning is fabulous.  They really were comfortable for walking all day.  While I personally feel the muscle-working in my knees most (in the tendons in back), I think that is a factor of my particular training needs.  If you are looking for impact-reduction, these are a great option.

The shoes are hot, though -- my feet were desperate for air after the long day.  I didn't wear socks either -- a move I don't recommend.  They were a little abrasive inside (though that could be cuz they are still new) and socks probably would've helped with the hot-foot action.  And of course the biggest issue is that you have to get over the Frankenstein look.  I have the black-and-white sneakers called "Strength" -- they were the only style I could stomach.  But that's a matter of personal taste.  They actually make them in so many varieties and styles -- not just sneakers. 

So, if you've been considering these, go for it.  They are worth the money.  If you can find an outlet, you can save a few dinars (though not many -- I only saved $10).  Many other brands are making their own varieties -- I can't speak to how they compare to Skechers.  Even if you only wear them while walking the dogs or on your own museum adventures, you'll appreciate their comfort and effortless exercise!

1 comment:

  1. I have to admit that I thought this was a lot of hype and made for people who are too lazy to exercise. Wear these and eat all the big macs you want! I still wonder how they work.

    ReplyDelete